We are all everyday psychologists . . .

We are all everyday psychologists. Psychology, the study of human behavior, is something all we use every day of our lives whether we realize it or not. The aim of this blog is to gather and reflect upon web-wide information about human behavior to enhance understanding of ourselves and others.

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Hot or Not? Some Men Tend to Overestimate Their Own Attractiveness

In the world of romance, miscommunications between men and women are frequent and are often based on misinterpretations of the other person's behavior. Consider this scenario:

Guy 1: "Aw, man, I met this HOTTIE at that party last night."

Guy 2: "Oh, yeah?"

Guy 1: "I could tell just how much she wanted me, dude. She kept smiling at me."

Guy 2: "Sweet! Did you get her phone number?"

Guy 1: "Nah, I asked, but she didn't give it to me, but she's just playing hard to get. I know it. She really wants me. I bet she'll be at Jane's party this weekend. I can't wait!"

At that same moment across town . . .

Woman 1 (a/k/a HOTTIE): "I had fun at the party last night, but this one guy kept following me around and bugging me."

Woman 2: "Oh, no! What did you do?"

Woman 1: "Well, I kind of wanted to tell him off, you know? But I was just very polite and distant, and he still kept following me around. It was creepy."

Woman 2: "How did you finally get away from him?"

Woman 1: "Well, after he asked for my phone number -- which I would have NEVER given him -- I got too uncomfortable and left. I hope I don't see him at Jane's party this weekend."

Why does this happen? Researchers at Williams College and the University of Texas at Austin have some insights.

All It Takes Is A Smile (For Some Guys)...